The following information is being made available to you as Avalon has adjusted policies and schedules due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Updated June 12th, 2020
Lifeguards will be on duty for the summer. The Avalon Beach Tag Booth is open daily from 10am-4pm. No beach tags will be required on Avalon’s beaches until Friday, July 3rd. You can reserve a beach tag on the Viply phone app. Preseason beach tag rates are effective until June 30th, 2020; the preseason rate is $25. The mail in beach tag program expired on May 31, 2020.
Social distancing is both required and mandated this summer on the Avalon beaches by gubernatorial and mayoral executive orders. Families who come to the beach should remain at least six feet apart from other blankets and chairs. Face masks are strongly encouraged this summer due to Covid-19. Avalon Police will be patrolling the beaches to encourage social distancing among our guests.
The Avalon Boardwalk is open. All regular rules and regulations apply. Face masks are strongly encouraged; social distancing is required.
Avalon Public Buildings:
Avalon public buildings remain closed to the public until further notice, including Borough Hall, Community Hall, the Avalon Free Public Library, and Avalon Department of Public Works. They will be opened by the Mayor when they can safely open. Essential employees are working both inside Borough Hall and remotely. Please understand any phone calls may not be returned immediately. Use the “Ask a Question” link on the Borough website to have your question directed to the appropriate department, or email the department directly. The Governor has extended the Public Health Emergency until early July; public buildings are expected to remain closed.
Avalon Public Spaces:
Avalon’s recreational facilities, including Community Hall and playgrounds, remain closed until further notice; the pickleball and tennis courts are all open as of Monday, June 15th; until then, they are open on a limited basis. Avalon opened municipal basketball courts on June 5th. School recreation facilities remain closed per state executive order. Avalon’s recreational fields between 8th Street and 12th street were conditionally opened on Friday, May 15th by the Mayor for exercise only. There are to be no organized games, no sports camps, and no group activities on the fields at any time, until further notice. The fields are only open for non-group activities including playing catch, kicking a soccer ball, etc. Social distancing on the athletic fields is strictly enforced. Masks are strongly encouraged for anyone who visits the athletic fields. Bathrooms adjacent to the beach at Surfside Park and any external building bathrooms are open to the public. Bay Park Marina is open to the public, and the boat launch is available. The Avalon Kayak Park is also open to the public. Social distancing is required, and masks are strongly recommended.
- Sundays at Surfside (cancelled for the summer)
- Beach Movies (Tuesday evenings, starting July 7th)
- Kids Friday Fundays (Until Further Notice)
- Recreation game Days (Until Further Notice)
- Surfside Lives (Until Further Notice)
- June 6th Big Band Dance (Canceled)
- June 13th AGC Flower Show Canceled)
- June 20th Avalon Lions Pancake Breakfast (Canceled)
- June 20th APAC Concert (Canceled)
- June 26th and 27th Apac Art Show (Canceled)
- June 27th Tim Kerr Charities Triathlon (Canceled)
- July 1st 63rd Army Band Concert (Canceled)
- July 2nd Tye Dye Day (Canceled)
- July 3rd Family Field Races (Canceled)_
- July 3rd Avalon Boat Parade (Canceled)
- July 4th Beach Concert (Canceled)
- Jul 4th Independence Day Celebration (Canceled)
- July 4th Bay Atlantic Symphony (Canceled)
- July 4th Fireworks (Canceled)
- July 8th Flyers Caravan (Canceled)
- July 11th Avalon Flip Flop Walk (Canceled)
- July 11th Tim Kerr Point to point Bay Swim (Canceled)
- July 11th Big Band Dance (Canceled)
- July 18th Contact Cape-Atlantic 5 Mile run (Canceled)
- July 19th Avalon Yacht Club Run from the Sun (Canceled)
- July 24th Avalon Christmas in July (Canceled)
- July 25th Heyday Softball Tournament (Canceled)
- July 26th Tim Kerr Duathlon (Canceled)
- July 26th Tim Kerr Family and Friends Beach Run (Canceled)
Avalon’s bulk trash pickup has been scheduled to start on June 15th. Trash may be placed curbside starting June 1st. The Avalon Trash and Recycling Drop Off Center at 15th Street and Dune Drive is open every day. The Avalon Community Paper Shredding Day will be held on Labor Day, September 7th. There will be a second bulk trash collection in Avalon starting September 14th.
Both short term/transient and seasonal rentals are permissible. Second home owners are allowed to visit their homes in Avalon. Curbside check in is mandated when possible.
The Avalon Borough Council meets on the second and fourth Wednesdays of each month at 4:00pm. These meetings have been recently held via conference call and will continue in that format until public buildings are open to the public. Meetings of the Avalon Environmental Commission have been cancelled. Meetings of the Avalon Planning and Zoning Board have been postponed; continue to follow notices on avalonboro.net for updates.
Retail, restaurant, bar, arcade, amusement are all regulated by the State of New Jersey and may only open via directives from the State. Outdoor dining is permissible as of June 15th for restaurants who have an approved application from the Borough. Inside retail is permissible at 50% occupancy, also as of June 15th. Inside gyms and arcades remain closed, per state order.