C. Danielle Nollett, Registrar
(609) 967-2990

Shane Daino, Deputy Registrar
(609) 967-5530

Applying for a Marriage License in Avalon:

To apply for a Marriage license in Avalon, one of the below requirements must be met.

  • One or both applicants legally reside in Avalon.


  • Both applicants legally reside outside of New Jersey

(Legal residence is determined by the address on your Driver’s License/Photo ID.)

If the applicants meet one of the above requirements, they may contact the Registrar’s office to schedule an appointment to file their Marriage License Application. (See “How to apply for a Marriage License in Avalon?”)

If the applicants DO NOT meet either of the above requirements, meaning they legally reside in the State of New Jersey, but not in Avalon then they need to contact the Registrar’s Office of the New Jersey Municipality where either applicant resides.

How to apply for a Marriage License in Avalon?

  • Email the Registrar and Deputy Registrar with the following information:
    • First and Last Names of Both Applicants
    • Date of Requested Appointment
    • Time of Requested Appointment
    • Date of Ceremony
    • Location of Ceremony in Avalon
    • Phone Number

Appointments are available Monday through Friday (except State and Federal holidays). Morning appointments are available from 9:00am-11:30am and afternoon appointments are available from 2:15pm-3:30pm. Appointments usually take about 20 minutes.

What to bring to the Application appointment?

  • Both applicants and their one witness (age 18 or older) all must bring a valid Driver’s License or Photo ID showing current addresses.
  • $28.00 cash or check. There is an application fee due at the time of your appointment. If paying in cash, we ask that applicants bring as close to exact change as possible, as our cash on hand is limited.

When to schedule an appointment to apply for a Marriage License?

  • Any time between six months to a week prior to the intended date of the ceremony.

Please contact the Registrar’s Office to schedule an appointment at least two (2) days prior to the requested date of the appointment.

What is the 72-hour waiting period?

There is a 72-hour waiting period between the time the application is filed and the time the application can be issued for pick-up. For example, if the application is filed at 9:15am on Monday, the license cannot be issued until after 9:15am on Thursday. Please keep this in mind when scheduling or rescheduling an application appointment.

Who Can Officiate a Wedding in New Jersey?

Please see the above link for recognized titles of officiants in the State of New Jersey.

Any ordained wedding officiant is permitted to perform ceremonies in the State of New Jersey, and by extension, the Borough of Avalon. This includes online ordination. No registration of these ordained ministers is necessary in the Borough of Avalon or the State of New Jersey. Please record your title as “Minister” on the marriage license form that is executed the day of the marriage ceremony.

Looking to Complete the Application in Advance of the Appointment?

Download and fill out this form: Marriage/Civil Union/Remarriage Application

Please complete page 1 only. Page 2 must be completed in-person.


To obtain a certified copy of a Birth, Death or Marriage record from the Borough of Avalon:

Birth, Death, Marriage and Civil Union records are filed in the municipality where the event took place and in the State Registrar’s Office in Trenton, NJ.

The below form is to be utilized for all requests for certified copies of birth, death, marriage and civil union records.

Download and fill out this form:  Borough of Avalon Certified Copy Application

Please return the completed form, a photocopy of the applicant’s driver’s license, and the appropriate payment to the below address:

Borough of Avalon
Attention: Registrar’s Office
3100 Dune Drive
Avalon, NJ 08202

Please note: Certified copies of marriage records are available immediately upon the Registrar’s Office receiving a fully executed marriage license after a ceremony.  Certified copies Marriage Licenses are not automatically sent to the newly married couple and must be requested and paid for separately. Certified copies can be requested in person or through the mail.