Birth, Death, Marriage and Civil Union records are filed in the municipality
where the event took place and in the State Registrar’s Office in Trenton, NJ.
Where should a couple apply for a Marriage or Civil Union License in New Jersey?:
1st – If the male and/or female applicants reside in New Jersey they may apply in the municipality where either one lives and the marriage/civil union may take place anywhere in New Jersey. The marriage or civil union license is filed in the municipality where the ceremony takes place. The marriage license application is valid for six months from the date accepted.
2nd – If neither the female or male applicant resides in New Jersey the couple
applies in the municipality where marriage or civil union is to take place.
MARRIAGE APPLICATION – The link below may be utilized to complete the wedding application.
- Please make an appointment. Appointments are Mon-Fri between 9:00 – 11:30 a.m. and 2:15 -3:30 p.m. Please call 609-967-5530.
- Please bring a check or money order made payable to: Borough of Avalon ($28.00),
- A witness over 18 years old,
- Photo ID,
- The address provided on the application for a marriage license must match the address on the photo ID. If the photo ID does not have that current address on it, the photo ID must be updated or an additional form of ID must be presented at the time of the application, such as a passport.
- Both parent’s full name at birth,
- Social security number,
- If not first marriage/relationship, provide date and place of divorce, annulment, former relationship.
How to apply for a Marriage License in the Borough of Avalon:
The couple must apply in person at the Registrar’s Office and must bring one witness 18 years or older who knows them both. There is a minimum 72 hour waiting period between the time the couple applies and the license can be issued. The license can be issued after that waiting period and the couple can have someone else pick up the license. Please call Registrar for an appointment to apply.
To obtain a certified copy of a Birth, Death or Marriage record from the Borough of Avalon:
The attached form is to be utilized for all requests for certified copies of birth, death, marriage and civil union records.
Download and fill out this form: Borough of Avalon Certified Copy Application
Send check or money order made payable to:
Borough of Avalon ($20 each)
Name and date of birth, death or marriage/ Copy of Driver’s License
Address where you want certificate sent – Send request and fee to:
Registrar of Vital Statistics
3100 Dune Drive
Avalon, NJ 08202
In order to change your name on your drivers license, social security card, etc. it will be necessary to obtain a certified copy of your marriage license.